[Scottish] Sempron v Athlon - or Celeron?

neil sinclair neil.sinclair at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 30 11:16:46 BST 2004

Hi guys -

It's me again, asking hardware questions!

I'm about to replace an Athlon 1.4, and the motherboard which goes with it.

I need to know if the Sempron is (as I sceptically suspect) more a marketing
move forward in the field of processor design than an improvement over the
Duron.

Does anyone have a take on this?

Right now it seems to be difficult to get Athlons at the low end - they are
simply out of stock. So my choice is between an Athlon XP 2200+ (266 FSB) and
a Sempron 2500 (333 FSB). Both have 256K cache.

I'm proposing an Asus A7N8X-VM microATX board, stll using my 512Mb of PC2100
ram (i.e. 266 bus speed), and putting SuSE 9.1 pro onto that. Should be a
nice system I hope!

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice!

Neil