[Scottish] Suse desktop short cut problem

Calum Matheson cbm at gmx.co.uk
Sat Feb 5 15:42:52 GMT 2005

Hello,

When you say they are in /usr/bin, do you mean you chose to put them
there (and hence the actual binaries are inside another folder
within?), or are symbolic links set up in /usr/bin?

If the executables themselves are not directly inside /usr/bin, then
you could set up symlinks using the following command:

ln -s /usr/bin/firefox <absolute-firefox-binary-location>
ln -s /usr/bin/thunderbird <absolute-thunderbird-binary-location>

(the absolute locations will be something like
'/usr/local/firefox/firefox', depending on where you chose to put
them).

This will ensure the executables can be found from your path, so you
shouldn't need to cd to the directory.  Simply typing 'thunderbird' in
any console should launch the app.  Does this work?

Also, how are the desktop shortcuts configured?  If links to the
executables are in your path, then the command 'thunderbird' should be
all that's needed in the shortcut's preferences.

Hoe that helps a little.

-c