[Scottish] LDAP

Andrew Back andy at smokebelch.org
Wed Jan 26 12:34:32 GMT 2005

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Miah Gregory wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to set up LDAP to:
>  - replace NIS/AutoFS;
>  - provide addressbook storage for evolution.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with doing the above, know of good
> resources to look at etc? LDAP seems to be a real pain to make work in
> any useful sense.

It can be a pain developing a schema that will meet all your (application)
requirements. I did NIS & LDAP a few years ago. I'd just Google around.
There are broker apps that will do LDAP <-> NIS. And am sure by now plenty
of folk will have done this.

The only valuable advice I can offer is to spend a good amount of time
working out the directory schema and DIT structure in advance, taking into
account any potential future applications and/or changes in company
structure (departments, offices, units etc). Can save you going mad later
trying to make things fit or having to move big trees of entries..

Andrew