[Scottish] LDAP

kevinmcd at linuxsolutions.demon.co.uk kevinmcd at linuxsolutions.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 26 12:52:22 GMT 2005

http://www.padl.com/OSS/pam_ldap.html (great stuff) and http://www.terminator.net/ldapconf/nss_ldap.html should help

>  - provide addressbook storage for evolution.

Find a decent LDAP management UI and go for it...bear in mind that the DC's of any entries from external entities will need to be the same as the DC that you select for your own directory, which is unpleasant.

(I know of someone who tried to set their bind point to dc=com once, then had to add a .co.uk...)

> Does anyone have any experience with doing the above, know of good
> resources to look at etc? LDAP seems to be a real pain to make work in
> any useful sense.

LDAP is Just-A-Directory...if you want to know more about LDAP, there's a great IBM Redbook on LDAP, google for RedBook and LDAP should find it...

Oh...and don't attempt anything while ssh'ed into the box :-)

Kevin