[Scottish] LDAP

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 26 22:15:58 GMT 2005

On Wednesday 26 January 2005 12:52, kevinmcd at linuxsolutions.demon.co.uk wrote:
> mace at darksilence.net wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'd like to set up LDAP to:
> >  - replace NIS/AutoFS;
>
> http://www.padl.com/OSS/pam_ldap.html (great stuff) and

They supply the migration tools which OpenLdap endorse. I needed to do a lot
of hacking on them to get them to fit the pre-cooked schemas on SuSE. YMMV,
but I'd suggest starting with a blank sheet on the first couple of gos -
don't expect to get it right first time!

There are several good FOSS tools for managing your installation - I liked
phpldapadmin and jxplorer.

If you don't want to get your hands too dirty, you might want to take a look
at GoSA which is a fairly simple but more black-box solution.

> Oh...and don't attempt anything while ssh'ed into the box :-)

Stack your ldap & unix pam auth modules !

There's lots of information out there on how to configure your LDAP server but
not much on the x500 directory structure - knowing a little about this helps.
If you don't get anywhere down the LDAP route, try x-refing SSL or OpenMail

(I thought you were going to employ somebody to do all this for you! ;)

Colin
(still looking for a job)