[Scottish] Sorting out our new computer with Linux

ray rayH at engineering-intelligence.co.uk
Tue Mar 15 10:15:57 GMT 2005

On Sunday 13 March 2005 14:52, John McCreadie wrote:
JM> Dear Sirs,
Obviously John has never been to a SLUG meeting - otherwise he would have
started with a more appropriate "Hey Youse".

First I would concur with Colin's points.

If you bought the machine and SuSE together get the supplier to fix it.

If you bought SuSE 9.2 then my experience of their support (pre-Novell) is
that it is very good and the manuals have most of the information that you
need. Also there is vast amounts of documentation on the DVDs/CDs. If you
have a free version from a magazine cover disc, then you probably need some
experience or help. By the way do not buy SuSE 9.2 now as 9.3 can be
pre-ordered from e.g. Amazon and is due in 3-4weeks.

To get help here it would be easier if you gave a bit more information about
what you have and what you have done.

Most modems should work, but you do need to configure them.  What sort of
modem (make and or chipset) do you have?

The motherboard has Creative SB Live! which is supported, but needs
configuration (semi-automatic during the latter, graphical part of the
installation)
You will need the updated NVidia drivers, and perhaps VIA patches for the
motherboard.  The best way to get these and the graphics drivers is via YOU
(Yast Online Update).

If the graphics problem is that you get the initial text screens on booting,
but then have a blank screen when the system enters graphical mode (run level
5), the most likely cause is not the graphics card, but the vdu monitor not
identifying itself properly and then receiving inappropriate signals.  You
can sidestep this by entering '3' as a boot option to use run level 3 (text
mode).  Then log in as root and enter 'yast' to use a text mode coniguration
to select an appropriate monitor in hardware/graphics.  This is also the best
place to set up your modem, network connection and run the on-line update
from.

As well as Ian's offer to help, you could send me a phone number off list, and
I will try to help.  I have a vested interest because I am considering
purchasing a MSI K8N SLI Platinum to replace a Gigabyte K8NS Pro that doesn't
like more than 1GB RAM, and I use SuSE for work.

--
ray