[Scottish] Network sound systems

Kyle Gordon bagpuss at lodge.glasgownet.com
Tue Nov 8 21:48:50 GMT 2005

I'm asking you lot cos... well, google didn't turn up anything useful :-)

Is anyone aware of a network audio system that is mostly seamless? I
could bring my laptop into the same room as my media box, and
artsd/esd/alsa/etc would automatically detect the presence of the sound
system hooked up to it, and offer me a chance to use it instead of the
onboard sound.

Using upnp AV, rendezvous, bluetooth, anything? Maybe instead it could
have something in the system notification area that knows what sound
systems are on the same network, and offer the ability to pick services?
I know Apples Airtunes device does similar, but up until recently it was
Apple only. Jon Lech Johansen has cracked the Airtunes key, but it's
still a kludge to get audio over to it.

Anyone got any ideas, suggestions, hints, etc?

Cheers,

Kyle