[Scottish] Fedora 4 Core and browsers problem

John Gordon Ollason john at houseofdeer.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 13:07:54 GMT 2005

Thanks for the information:

I have done quite a lot of burrowing about on the web (using Firefox) and
discovered that the problem seems to be an epidemic of DNS servers that
don't respond sensibly to IPv6 addresses. You can disable IPv6 in the
preferences in Firefox and it works fine, but there doesn't seem to be a
switch in Opera to do this, so the fix suggested, and it seems to work is
to append the line

alias net-pf-10 off

to the /etc/modprobe.conf file.

This seems to work. (Might as well be abracadabra as far as I am
concerned.)

Best wishes,

John O.