[Scottish] O'Reilly Book Reviews

Peter George peter at logicalware.com
Tue Nov 15 21:27:07 GMT 2005

I spoke with Josette Garcia from O'Reilly about this at EuroOSCON.

They are reallly keen to supply Lug members with books in return for
reviews.

What needs doing is for a book reviews and book request page to be
setup on the SLug site. One SLug member receives the members' book
requests and delivery addresses and forwards them to O'Reilly (they do
not want a load of individual requests for books).

Books are delivered to members and the commitment is to post a review
within a few weeks on the Lug site, and for the co-ordinator to inform
O'Reilly of the review URL so they can link it and reference it, quote
it, put it on Amazon and on their own site, etc.

I said I'd get such a system up for EdLug, just haven't got round to it
yet. It looks easier to publish on the SLug site what with the Wiki and
everything ...

I dare say there will be data protection concerns with collation of
people's addresses, this one thing that's stalled me getting the focus
page for book requests and reviews together. Any thoughts on that?

On 15 Nov 2005, at 21:14, Colin Horne wrote:

> Hey all
>
> Are we participating in the O'Reilly book review offer thingy for UUGs
> and LUGs? (see: http://ug.oreilly.com/bookreviews.html)
>
> If so, does anyone actually know how it works, and which books we can
> review?  The page (linked to above) doesn't seem to be very
> descriptive:
> "O'Reilly provides copies of our books for your members to review in
> our
> newsletter, websites, and other book review sites."
>
> It doesn't seem to say which books can we review, when we get the books
> (before or after we review it - if after, how do we review it in the
> first place?), etc.
>
> Any wisdom much appreciated :-)
>
> (Incidently, this is the book I want: AI for Games Developers, by
> David Bourg).
>
> Thanks
>   Colin
>

> --
> Colin Horne
> GPG 0x3DC37936 (http://colinhorne.co.uk/~colin/public_key.gpg)

Logicalware Ltd, tel +44 (0)131 273 5130, http://www.logicalware.com/
Stuart House, Eskmills, Station Road, Musselburgh EH21 7PQ, UK