[Scottish] Hopeless newbie part 2

Steve Logan steve at bigsmoke.com
Mon Sep 19 20:35:43 BST 2005

Thanks to all who replied to my earlier Samba question...

Having had to interrupt my messing about to do some Proper Work for the
last couple of weeks I'm back in Hopeless Newbie mode (hereafter
contracted to HoNe) and have another batch of (probably trivial)
questions.  and yes I really have tried to RTFM.

Here's what I've got:
- a boxed copy of Suse 9.1 which I bought ages ago and have finally
installed on a Del PIII 500 with 768MB RAM and a couple of IBM 80GB drives.
- Suse manuals for 9.1
- a copy of Suse 9.3 from Linux Something mag this month
- a bunch of Oreilly books on Apache.

Where I'm having problems:

- Conceptual #1.  I'm struggling to figure out where Suse/Linux puts
things.  On XP, on the whole, programs are installed (by default) in
c:\Program Files, dlls etc in C:\Windows and subdirs, user data in
C:\Documents and settings\User\ and sub dirs.  Is there a direct Linux
equivalent?  And I'm beginning to think that Suse ain't the same as
Redhat?  Can you give me a HoNe Rule Of Thumb for where to find stuff?

- Conceptual #2.  Being a big Firefox fan I downloaded the RPM from
mozilla.org to my desktop (as root) and ran it.  It seems to have
installed in a directory under the desktop, which, I suspect, isn't
correct.  Where should I have put it so that all users can run it?

- I installed Webmin (sort of), ie I downloaded the RPM and double
clicked on it.  I suspect that I've got another of these strange 'where
are things supposed to be' problems because Webmin can't find my Apache
2 install (which I did directly from YaST from the CDs).  So, two things
(a) is Webmin a Good Thing? (b) What do I need to do to get it working
(that's probably a dumb question!  I have tried using YaST to install
the Webmin from the CD set but YaST appears to bomb out without doing
anything).

HoNe Q1: How do I uninstall apps?

HoNe Q2: I've got this Suse 9.3 from the Linux mag.  Can I 'install'
that over what I've got?  Will I lose anything (eg YaST online update or
similar?  I'm hazy as to what I get for paying fifty quid for the boxed
version of 9.1 vs the free versions)

I'll stop now 'cos life is too short but there's more!  (Apache Tomcat
etc etc)...

Thanks for any assistance...

Ta

Steve