[Scottish] Wireless problem on Suse

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 20 20:59:59 BST 2005

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 17:42, Alan Rutherford wrote:

> The system boots and saying  its detected  WLAN0 -  but it
> can't find any configuration.

No solution - but sympathy - it's not just you.

I've got a WMP11 (no, the one that works with Linux) in my machine which ran
like a clock under SuSE 8.2, then Debian, now I've gone back to SuSE 9.3, it
claims to have set it all up - the right modules are installed, iwconfig and
ifconfig say the right things (but it ifconfigs seperate interfaces for ipv4
and ipv6) but it only ever seems to work for 10 seconds out of every 5
minutes, with no rhyme nor reason.

1) What does lspci say?
2) Have you told it which module to load in yast?
3) is the interface reported as configured by ifconfig?
4) what does iwconfig say?
5) how are you testing the connectivity? (I just found out today that my
laptop is definitely working fine - so the problems with my desktop).

Given my current circumstances I'm keen to find out how you get on.

C.