[Scottish] sounds blues

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Wed Aug 16 22:58:30 BST 2006

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help with my current problems. My main box is currently
running SuSE9.3 and up until recently the only time I wanted it to make
noises, amarok, xmms and xine were all I needed and worked quite well.

Recently I've wanted to get started using other stuff but....I can't get
anything else to work!

I thought it was setup to run ALSA, if I start up in runlevel 3 speaker-test
works OK.

If I start up in 5 and login to a KDE desktop, amarok works (but it always
starts up artsd which runs at s illy priority and eats all my CPU). If I kill
off artsd, I get noises from speaker-test.

I'm trying to rosegarden working (a Midi Sequencer) and it is configured to
talk to Alsa. If artsd is running when it starts, it seems happy enough - but
no sound. If I start it with artsd NOT running, it complains "No soundcard
available or sound support not configured yet...". Seems to start up
something called jackd (not a balding comedian from london).

KMid never complains - and looks as if it is playing my midi files regardless
of whether artsd is running or not. Doesn't make any noise though. It says
its using alsa.

Running QAmix when XMMS or Amarok are blasting, the volume controls don't have
any effect, but the PCM mute turns off the sound (but master mute doesn't).

Anybody got a clue what's going on here? Or better, how I should fix it?

(BTW its a crappy onboard sound chipset it's only described as 'Onboard 5.1
Channel, AC97 Audio Codec' but it only provides line in / line out / mic
connectors)

TIA,

Colin