[Scottish] Drive performance...

Andrew Back andy at smokebelch.org
Fri Dec 1 19:58:04 GMT 2006

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, Kyle Gordon wrote:

>> What configuration gives 120GB from 80 + 60?
>
> Is it not multiples of the smallest drive? Like (n-1)x, n being number
> of drives and x being the capacity of the smallest drive?

RAID 0 (striped) would give 140G but you'd lose all your data if a drive
failed.
RAID 1 (mirrored) would give 60G as you only get up to the size of the
smallest drive.
RAID 5 isn't possible with less than 3 drives.

> I think that settles it then... SCSI it is :-) They may be old, but
> still more advanced. On the plus side, it frees up some drives for use
> in other machines :-)

Unless the perfomance gap due to difference in age is sufficiently large,
or ATA has advanced to include command queueing...

Andrew