[Scottish] Linux and video editing

Gordon JC Pearce gordon at gjcp.net
Mon Dec 18 18:42:10 GMT 2006

Bill Ritchie wrote:
> I'm an oap who has used Windows since its beginning (I hang my head in
> shame). Free from the constraints of other peoples bad habits I'm slowly
> weaning myself off MS and have migrated to openoffice and firefox and
> thunderbird but still on MS. I'd like to make the final move to Linux OS
> but currently use Adobe Premier and Photoshop for video work. Are there
> equivelents in open source? Or do I need to partition my hard drive to
> accomodate both MS and Linux OSs?
> Thanks
> Bill

Yes, you do.  There are a lot of different ways to do this, some of
which involve wiping the Windows partition and starting again.  In
general though, with modern distributions you can get away with clearing
a lot of space on the Windows partition, defragmenting, and then making
it smaller to leave room for Linux.

Linux is *reasonably* happy to talk to Windows disks, so you can play
back your videos and mp3s and whatnot in Linux with little trouble.

Gordon.