[Scottish] Linux and video editing

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Tue Dec 19 17:24:06 GMT 2006

simon yuill wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> For editing video there is Kino (http://www.kinodv.org/) and Cinelerra
> (http://cvs.cinelerra.org/about.php).  For still image work (ie
> Photoshoppy stuff) there is GIMP (http://www.gimp.org) and a variant of
> GIMP called Cinepaint that is specifically geared towards moving image
> work (http://www.cinepaint.org/).

It should be noted that while these are excellent apps, their workflow
is different from Premier and Photoshop.  GIMPshop tries to redress that
by putting Photoshop-style menus and toolbars onto The GIMP to try and
help Photoshop users move across.  I don't think there's anything
similar for Premier.

I'd definitely try these apps (GIMP and Kino / Cinelerra) on a Live CD
if possible to make sure you feel you can use them in place of the Adobe
apps.  If you can, great, get rid of that Windows box :)  If you can't,
look into dual-booting - Ubuntu makes this process pretty painless now,
even for Win2K / XP Pro users with NTFS partitions.

--
_ __/|  William Anderson      |  Tim: Your cheese game is strong.
\`O_o'  neuro at well dot com | Zane: My cheese game. It's all about the