[Scottish] Zoom 5510 adsl / usb modem

Alice sei531 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 15 00:22:20 GMT 2006

Would really appreciate any help here, before the other people in the project
install windows when we're not looking!

The George's X Chalkboard is a community / social centre. 34 Clarendon Place,
G20 7PZ http://chalkboard.org.uk/

We have a few old, donated computers, running ubuntu (breezy badger) and a 512k
ukonline connection. The idea is for them to be public access terminals, but
also that we can use them for open source advocacy / workshops.

We have a zoom 5510 modem that is proving really difficult to get working.
We've installed the xdslusb package thats recommended, for ubuntu:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hoary/net/xdslusb

A few of us have spent a few hours trying to get it working, with no success -
the documentation refers to scripts that are not where they should be, and
copying the scripts with the same names from the "examples" directory to
appropriate places kind of progessed us, but there was just one problem after
another - as I said we've put quite a few hours into it and haven't got
anywhere. Google and ubuntu doc searches hasn't helped - except to show that
lots of other people seem to have probs with the scripts.

So - can anyone give advice? Or better yet pop in and try and get it working
for us? We're mostly open 2-7 Wed-Sun but its best to phone first just to be
sure, or email me a time thats good for you and I'll make sure its open.

Also, we're keen to have workshops / installfests / whatevers in the place so
if anyone wants to organise anything, get in touch to arrange a day and time.

To find out whats going on you can join our announcement list by emailing
glasgowautonomyupdates-subscribe at lists.riseup.net

Regards,
Alice

(In case this sounds familiar, a few of us were involved in the printworks
centre in the merchant city a couple of years ago. At that time I emailed the
list and some folks helped fix up old computers, but that space was only ever a
temporary let and we had some problems with jakeys in there, that taught us
some important lessons for this space)

--
http://fleabite.suprglu.com/

"in the Katrina [...] some of the rightwing conservatives said, ‘Well, the most people who were helping there were white folks trying to lift those helicopter things down to help those folk.’ Well, charity ain’t justice. Charity is beautiful, but you ain't got to be charitable to me if I already got justice. If I already got a sense of participation, you ain't got to be charitable to me. Just treat me right every day."   Michael Eric Dyson http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/14/1353201