[Scottish] SuSe 10 Installation

Robert Barbour rlbarbour at castleventures.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Feb 22 09:51:43 GMT 2006

I recently gave up with SuSe 9.3 and tried to install 10 as a completely new installation.
The first three attempts failed, the machine just 'hung' (at different stages) ...
Then I discovered a memory fault (it's an old machine), and removal of the faulty memory allowed full installation without a hitch ...hooray!
On booting up afterwards, I get the usual stuff, but instead of a desktop, the screen blanks, a message saying something like "video frequency output out of range .. something about kHz" and then a black screen!
Is this another hardware fault, or is it SuSe?
If I choose the 'safe' mode on booting, I get the command prompt and login OK.
So, any ideas about KDE and the blank look?
Regards
Rob