[Scottish] SuSe 10 Installation

Philip Ward philward at bigfoot.com
Wed Feb 22 22:17:17 GMT 2006

I've never really tried Suse, but the following works a treat in
Debian and should work with any distro.

Get hold of Knoppix (www.knopper.net or ask here if someone going to
the meeting can provide a copy).
Knoppix usually does a good job of detecting hardware settings and
setting up a working graphics system.
Once you boot knoppix take a copy of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file it produces.
Place this file into /etc/X11 (assuming Suse uses Xorg, rename the
file as XF86Config-4 if Suse is using XFree86) on Suse and restart
your display manager (probably kdm on Suse - /etc/init.d/kdm restart).