[Scottish] SuSe Internet Access

Will Partain partain at dcs.gla.ac.uk
Thu Feb 23 09:50:48 GMT 2006

Colin McKinnon <colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com> writes:

> The cheapo adsl adaptors which come for 'free' with ADSL packages
> are almost universally USB connected and (mostly) only work with
> MSWindows. I'd recommend getting your own ADSL router with ethernet
> (RJ45) or WiFi connection.

Agreed.  I think I'm right in saying: those USB modems are
"winmodems", in that they push a bunch of the work of the "ADSL
routing" onto your system, which they assume to be a Windows box.
That's why you have to have (the correct) "drivers", and things have
to work just right for the USB modem to do anything at all.

In the case of a separate ADSL router, it's handling all the ADSLness,
and your machine just sees an Ethernet port to send packets to.

For not much more money, you get an ADSL router with four Ethernet
ports (possibly plus wireless, which is _always_ more trouble, in my
experience :-(), so it's a no-brainer to hook up that 2nd, 3rd, and
4th computer/whatever.  As Colin says, spend the money and rest easy.

Will