[Scottish] SuSe Internet Access

Ben Thorp THORPB at uk.ibm.com
Thu Feb 23 10:07:11 GMT 2006

scottish-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote on 23/02/2006 09:50:43:

> Colin McKinnon <colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com> writes:
>
> > The cheapo adsl adaptors which come for 'free' with ADSL packages
> > are almost universally USB connected and (mostly) only work with
> > MSWindows. I'd recommend getting your own ADSL router with ethernet
> > (RJ45) or WiFi connection.
>
> Agreed.  I think I'm right in saying: those USB modems are
> "winmodems", in that they push a bunch of the work of the "ADSL
> routing" onto your system, which they assume to be a Windows box.
> That's why you have to have (the correct) "drivers", and things have
> to work just right for the USB modem to do anything at all.

Actually, not always true.

In some cases I have seen (in particular the ntl cable modems) it's
actually providing ethernet over USB, which got into the kernel somewhere
around 2.4.18 IIRC. However, the Speedtouch ADSL modems (which are really
common) _are_ winmodems, but do have Linux drivers. However, I still agree
with buying your own ADSL kit - it's not expensive these days. A (very
bargain basement) ebuyer adsl modem (no router - just a modem) comes in at
about £20 IIRC.

Ben