[Scottish] USB memory sticks and SuSE 9.3

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Sun Jan 8 23:05:52 GMT 2006

On Sunday 08 January 2006 13:46, Robert Barbour wrote:
>  The memory stick is easily read by a dell laptop and the files copied etc.
>  (The files in question were written to the stick by an apple laptop.)

OK - so the device seems to be working properly.

>  Suse machine is now putting another icon up 'floppy' - i don't know what
> produced this, as the floppy drive on the machine has never been used.

I've never delved much into the workings but the hotlug system is coordinated
by udev - see /usr/share/doc/packages/udev. You should have files
in /dev/.udevdb named block at sda & block at sda@sda1 (don't edit these yourself).

To find out a bit more about the udev package try:

rpm -q -l udev | less

This lists the files in the package including the documentation.

>  When I click to open it, ..dev/sda comes up in the location box, then a
> popup window says the process has died!
>
>  I get the same result whether or not the memory stick is in the USB port,
> but no light or action on the floppy drive, even with a disk in it!

The label 'floppy' seems to be coincidental - the 'process has died' message
is obviously not expected.

HTH

C.