[Scottish] free public Linux lab in Glasgow - open day 29th July

simon yuill simon at lipparosa.org
Thu Jul 20 11:20:16 BST 2006

Hi EdLUG and ScotLUG,

Back in 2004 some of you took part in a project I organised at the CCA
(Centre for Contemporary Arts) on Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow called
'Your Machines', which promoted Linux and Free Open Source Software.

Recently, I have been involved with the CCA again in helping to set up a
public access media lab there.  The CCA have donated space and equipment
and myself and several other people have helped set this up and are
running the space as a voluntary project.  The lab is called 'Electron
Club' and will provide a space for learning and using Linux and FLOSS,
but also aims to involve wider forms of technology, such as amateur
radio and DIY sustainable technologies.  The space is currently
installed with a set of Linux machines and we are also providing
facilities for basic hardware work - soldering, etc.

The lab will be available for different voluntary groups and individuals
to make use of for holding workshops, meetings and other events - so,
for example, if people want to run install days, Linux workshops, or
just have private LUG meetings or tech sessions, or screen films and
DVDs, then the space can be used and provides a good free public venue
in the city centre.

On Saturday 29th July we are holding an open day in the new lab space
from 2pm to 5pm.  We are inviting  a range of different voluntary groups
and individuals who are involved in activities such as Linux advocacy,
sustainable technologies, art and technology, etc. to have stalls or
make presentations during the open day so they can promote themselves
and what they are about.  It would be great if people from EdLUG and
ScotLUG would like to come along and take part, promote what you do and
meet other groups with similar and related interests.  Alternatively you
may just want to come and pop your heads in and have a look at what the
space has to offer. Either way you are all very welcome.

I would like to emphasise that we are not looking for people to set
equipment up or anything, people from both EdLUG and ScotLUG have been
very generous in the past and, in a way, this is a chance to give
something back.  The space is there for you to use, possibly augmenting
existing venues you use or providing something suitable for a different
type of event - it's up to you.

If you are interested in taking part in the open day, or would just like
to find out more about the space, then please either mail me directly
offlist, or contact info at electronclub.org.

Look forward to hearing from you.

best wishes
Simon Yuill