[Scottish] Dapper gets thumbs up in the Daily Record.

Joseph Kerr jsphkrr at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 10:51:55 BST 2006

Hi,

I too first install Linux using Mandrake 10.0 from a free CD in a
Linux magazine. I was impressed with all the included packages. When
Ubuntu was release I thought I would give it a try. Big mistake! Too
few packages. Problems with dialup and wireless. All the online
documentation assumes that you have a speedy broadband connection. If
I want to install a package I need to go to the local library,
Clydebank, download the required packages then burn them on a CD. I
have worked in the IT business for some years and I thought of
introducing myself to Linux apps via Python, mySQL. No development
environment was available on the supplied CDs.

I cannot understand why Ubuntu is so popular. It seems to be a
repackaging of Debian. It is a step backwords for Linux.

I am considering migrating to MEPIS. Does anyone have a MEPIS CD they
can give me? Thanks.

Joe