[Scottish] Dapper gets thumbs up in the Daily Record.

Ben Thorp THORPB at uk.ibm.com
Mon Jun 5 12:33:55 BST 2006

scottish-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote on 05/06/2006 10:51:53:

> I cannot understand why Ubuntu is so popular. It seems to be a
> repackaging of Debian. It is a step backwords for Linux.
>
> I am considering migrating to MEPIS. Does anyone have a MEPIS CD they
> can give me? Thanks.

MEPIS is just a repackaging of Debian too. If you didn't like Ubuntu, then
you are probably equally as likely to dislike Mepis.

People use Ubuntu because it is an extremely well integrated distribution
which is, for the most part, simple to use and run, with a large community
behind it. Plus, the very fact that it is based on Debian is seen as a good
thing.

Unfortunately no Linux distribution is particularly good if you do not have
internet access, and dialup is almost as bad. It would appear that, for the
most part, the issue of winmodems has never been resolved, and is
increasingly unlikely with the spread of broadband. Even with a working
dialup connection, getting updates for a system is likely to be a lengthy
process.

FWIW I have been using Ubuntu on my laptop (all devices working, including
wifi, although I haven't tried the modem) since Warty Warthog and one of
the most impressive things for me is the amount of progress they have made
in <2 years. I switched my desktop from Debian Unstable to Breezy (and now
Dapper) earlier this year, and couldn't be happier.

If something doesn't work for you in Ubuntu, then I strongly urge you to
log a bug - the community (IME) has been very responsive to resolving
issues with the distribution, and this has been key in the improvements
they have made.

Ben