[Scottish] Dapper gets thumbs up in the Daily Record.

Gordon JC Pearce gordon at gjcp.net
Tue Jun 6 07:33:41 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 10:51 +0100, Joseph Kerr wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I too first install Linux using Mandrake 10.0 from a free CD in a
> Linux magazine. I was impressed with all the included packages. When
> Ubuntu was release I thought I would give it a try. Big mistake! Too
> few packages. Problems with dialup and wireless. All the online
> documentation assumes that you have a speedy broadband connection. If
> I want to install a package I need to go to the local library,
> Clydebank, download the required packages then burn them on a CD. I
> have worked in the IT business for some years and I thought of
> introducing myself to Linux apps via Python, mySQL. No development
> environment was available on the supplied CDs.

It sounds like you might want to try downloading the full set of Debian
CDs.  There are dozens, though.  One of the reasons why Ubuntu leaves so
much out is because if you wanted to fit it all on a single disk you
would need a CD drive the size of a truck, and special tools to mount
the flying saucer-sized disk.

> I cannot understand why Ubuntu is so popular. It seems to be a
> repackaging of Debian. It is a step backwords for Linux.

Ubuntu is aimed at being a simple, easy-to-use desktop OS.  The idea is
that you put the CD in, say "Yes" a lot at the prompts, and you have
something that looks good and works well for people who want to surf the
'net and read email.  It excels at this (and this is a confirmed
Debian-hater saying it).  I've even switched to Xubuntu for my desktop.

> I am considering migrating to MEPIS. Does anyone have a MEPIS CD they
> can give me? Thanks.

The problem with the "repackaged Debian" distros is that they do all
tend to assume you're on a fairly hefty connection.  They're not alone
in this - building stuff from [pkgsrc|ports] in [Net|Free]BSD does a
similar thing.  Unfortunately the distros with more stuff in them tend
also to be more complicated to set up.  That said, you could take a look
at Slackware.

Gordon.