[Scottish] isp and linux

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 10 20:11:36 BST 2007

On Wednesday 08 August 2007 09:12, Claudio Calvelli wrote:
> > I have used Linux (and in fact, RISC-OS) successfully on connections
> > supplied BT, Pipex and Tiscali, using an ADSL->Ethernet router.
> > Personally I thought Pipex was probably the best of the three.
>
> I don't doubt that, but Pipex is in the process of selling their
> residential broadband division to TIscali, so don't expect it to be any
> good in the future.

Certainly IME Pipex used to be a great service provider - but about 3 years
ago they started to compete agressively with many of the smaller ADSL
provider - and the cost cutting was on the support side. At the same time,
they started buying up a lot of the smaller, better suppliers like Nildram.

I've still got NTL (now Virgin) who provide great connectivity - but their
bundled servcies (mail, news, hosting) are pretty dire. I'm thinking about
changing my telephone provider and installing a digital aerial - in which
case the broadband only package looks rather expensive.

C.
(the other C.)