[Scottish] isp and linux

Claudio Calvelli slug at intercal.dyn-o-saur.com
Wed Aug 8 09:12:12 BST 2007

> I have used Linux (and in fact, RISC-OS) successfully on connections
> supplied BT, Pipex and Tiscali, using an ADSL->Ethernet router.
> Personally I thought Pipex was probably the best of the three.

I don't doubt that, but Pipex is in the process of selling their
residential broadband division to TIscali, so don't expect it to be any
good in the future.

And personally I don't trust something like BT which is only there to
transfer money from their customers to their shareholders, there are
a number of smaller ISPs who genuinely provide good service - otherwise
they'd lose all their customers. I'm with Entanet (via UKFSN,
http://www.ukfsn.org) and happy with them (and there's the additional
bonus that part of the profits are used to fund open source projects).

Get something with one month contract, so if it isn't as good as it
should be it's no difficulty to go away (and remember that now you
can change ADSL ISP without paying a new activation fee in most cases)