[Scottish] [Fwd: [ScotLUG Info] Wanted: Free Software resources for all families and schools]

Kyle Gordon kyle at lodge.glasgownet.com
Tue Aug 14 00:26:53 BST 2007

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[ScotLUG Info] Wanted: Free Software resources for all
families and schools
Date: 	Sat, 28 Jul 2007 21:23:44 +0200
From: 	Marco Fioretti <marco at digifreedom.net>
To: 	info at scotlug.org.uk

Greetings,

I am a freelance writer specialized in FOSS topics, Contributing
editor of Linux Journal
(http://www.linuxjournal.com/xstatic/corporate/staff/Marco) and member
of the OpenDocument Fellowship.

I'd like to let you know about a new personal initiative of mine,
which will hopefully make lots of parents and teachers understand why
they cannot ignore FOSS and Free Culture anymore in the interest of
their own children.

I am going to publish on the Digifreedom website:

* a directory of Digitally Free Schools, that all parents may check
  when choosing a new school for their children.
  http://digifreedom.net/node/55

* one of bad public websites,     http://digifreedom.net/node/76

* one of Trashware organizations, http://digifreedom.net/node/92

* a list of examples of "Bad ICT information", that is links to
  article from mainstream press or websites which have no clue of what
  Free Software actually is, so all parents and other non-hackers can
  learn to recognize them.

* forums on Digitally Free School and Digitally Free Families:
  http://digifreedom.net/forum/30
  where all citizens concerned about the attacks on the Digital
  Freedom of their schools or families can work together to protect
  it.

All these are and will always remain absolutely free services to the
whole community: I hope to make of these databases something that all
parents and teachers, especially those who know nothing or very little
about software, will be able to use to do the right choices in the
best interest of their children's education and of their own civil
rights.

The reason why I am writing is only to let your LUG know that I always
welcome any submission to any of those databases (the more the better),
either through the forums above or via direct email.

Obviously, should you find it appropriate, you are also welcome to
spread the word about the databases, forums and my Open Letter to
Mothers about Software (http://digifreedom.net/node/74) as much as you
wish, *especially* outside Free Software circles. Teachers, parents
associations, churches, senior citizens clubs, any youth organization,
whatever: the more non-programmers we can reach with this approach,
the better it would be for Free Standards and Software.

Thank you in advance for your time! Any general feedback is also
welcome!

        Best Regards,

        Marco Fioretti

--

Help *everybody* love Free Standards and Free Software!
http://digifreedom.net