[Scottish] Gaelic Spellchecker

Subhi S Hashwa lists at subhi.com
Mon Feb 12 21:17:55 GMT 2007

Monday, February 12, 2007, 8:15:51 PM, J.R. Seago¹ wrote:

> Two points to consider here, have a look here: http://tinyurl.com/3e55b2
> why is the Gaelic spell checker only available to operate on  Microsoft
> office? (If it can be made to work on Free Software please let me know
> before I get cross for the wrong reason).

Have you approached Michael Burke at School of Computing, Dublin City
University, he's the person who wrote it. his website is on
http://www.computing.dcu.ie/~mburke/

The package that he wrote is now integrated in MS Office (see
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2002/ptk.aspx )

The package linked from LT Scotland
http://www.computing.dcu.ie/~mburke/speller.msi

I am not sure what you're trying to achieve with this post?

If you're interested in the Gaelic spell checker contact him directly,
asking politely to release his work under GPL or BSD licenses, so the
nice people at Openoffice/KOffice/Etc can integrate his work in free
software.

After reading the site it seems many people are taking credit for
creating the package, and it may be complicated to get who actually
owns the rights to it, but I still believe Michael Burke may be the
best starting point.

> And the second point is why does the Welsh language board get more than the
> Gaelic.

Maybe the Welsh assembly puts greater importance on Welsh than the
Scottish Executive does on Gaelic ;)

In other news, the PAB at Nominet (the company responsible for
managing the .uk namespace) has completed the IDN workgroup the
recommendations has been passed to Nominet, so expect to be able to
register names using Gaelic letters like Môr.co.uk under .uk in the
future.

--
Best regards,
 Subhi S Hashwa                            mailto:lists at subhi.com
 When everything is heading your way, you're in the wrong lane.