[Scottish] Gaelic Spellchecker

J.R. Seago j.r.seago at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Feb 12 21:56:43 GMT 2007

On Monday 12 February 2007 21:17, Subhi S Hashwa wrote:
> Monday, February 12, 2007, 8:15:51 PM, J.R. Seago¹ wrote:
> > Two points to consider here, have a look here:
> > http://tinyurl.com/3e55b2 why is the Gaelic spell checker only
> > available to operate on  Microsoft office? (If it can be made to work
> > on Free Software please let me know before I get cross for the wrong
> > reason).
>
> Have you approached Michael Burke at School of Computing, Dublin City
> University, he's the person who wrote it. his website is on
> http://www.computing.dcu.ie/~mburke/

No, perhaps I should expand, I retired early with an injury, I used to be a
Fireman, in a previous age when there were only FireMEN. The prescription
painkillers I take tend to leave me far less bright than I used to be. So
I may get angry about things I don't either read well enough, or take in
properly, hence my sentence above, "(If it can be made to work on Free
Software please let me know before I get cross for the wrong
reason)". Perhaps, when I'm sure that what I write will come across
politely, I'll write and ask him. At the moment I'm deciding if, when I
move, I'll have enough intelligence left to take classes, and if at 60
they'll be worthwhile!

> The package that he wrote is now integrated in MS Office (see
> http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2002/ptk.aspx )
>
> The package linked from LT Scotland
> http://www.computing.dcu.ie/~mburke/speller.msi
>
> I am not sure what you're trying to achieve with this post?

As I'm 15 minutes from my next dose, neither am I, but I see I did frame my
post as a question, "(If it can be made to work on Free Software please
let me know before I get cross for the wrong reason".

> If you're interested in the Gaelic spell checker contact him directly,
> asking politely to release his work under GPL or BSD licenses, so the
> nice people at Openoffice/KOffice/Etc can integrate his work in free
> software.

See Above

> After reading the site it seems many people are taking credit for
> creating the package, and it may be complicated to get who actually
> owns the rights to it, but I still believe Michael Burke may be the
> best starting point.
>
> > And the second point is why does the Welsh language board get more
> > than the Gaelic.
>
> Maybe the Welsh assembly puts greater importance on Welsh than the
> Scottish Executive does on Gaelic ;)

If this is British/UK money, or even EU funding, that still doesn't explain
why half the number of people get more than three times the money, for the
same end.

Thank you for your research on my behalf, I'll read it again tomorrow and
you may get a more sensible answer.
--
J.R. Seago
GNU/Linux Registered User No. #219566