[Scottish] Gaelic Spellchecker

Subhi S Hashwa lists at subhi.com
Tue Feb 13 03:11:46 GMT 2007

Tuesday, February 13, 2007, 2:20:52 AM, J.R. Seago wrote:

> That makes matters even worse! Welsh is spoken by 2,903,085/700,000 one in
> four+of the population of Wales, Gaelic by 5,062,011/58,652 one in 86 > 87
> of the population of Scotland, even if one discounts the proportion of
> Scotland where Gaelic was not spoken, then the sum of money per head being
> spent to preserve a European language/culture, (which was what I understood
> the EU to be seeking to do), should at least be greater for Scotland.

You should also remember that only English and Welsh are recognised
languages by the United Kingdom Parliament in Westminister, Gaelic is
only recognised as an official language in Scotland by the Scottish
Parliament, this in effect puts the resources of the central
government in providing materials and content and generally supporting
the Welsh language, this is not available to Gaelic.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaelic_Language_%28Scotland%29_Act_2005
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Language_Act_1993

you might want to have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_in_the_United_Kingdom

only around 1% of population in Scotland speak Gaelic, vs 20% in Wales.

See also Scots language, which 30% of the population speak.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_language

--
Best regards,
 Subhi S Hashwa                            mailto:lists at subhi.com
 When everything is heading your way, you're in the wrong lane.