[Scottish] [Fwd: [edlug] This Monday -- The Changing Landscape of Digital Media]

Callum Noble callum at citizen-erased.co.uk
Fri Feb 16 15:00:35 GMT 2007

Thought some of you might be interested in this:

Subject: [edlug] This Monday -- The Changing Landscape of Digital Media
To:      "edlug" <edlug at lists.ed.ac.uk>

or Why I can't play this song on my MP3 Player (but might be able to soon)

What?

A presentation by Gareth Bowker of the Free Software Foundation Europe,
organised by People & Planet Society. Open to all.

http://www.fsfeurope.org/
http://pandp.eusa.ed.ac.uk/

When?

This Monday, Feb 19th, 7-9pm

Where?

The Potterrow Chaplaincy, Bristo Place: http://www.chaplaincy.ed.ac.uk/

DRM (Digital Restrictions Management) are software "locks" put on
digital media - music, videos, software, books and documents, etc. - that
restrict what you can do with that media. DRM was always going to fail,
but recent events make it look like 2007 may be the year DRM finally dies.

This talk gives a brief history of DRM - where it came from, what it does,
and why it was always inevitable that it would fail. It also looks at
where things are now, how DRM might be affecting you and how you can help
stop DRM's progress.

Gareth Bowker is the UK representative for FSFE (Free Software
Foundation Europe), a NGO devoted to ensuring a level playing field for
Free Software in Europe. In October 2006, FSFE launched DRM.info, a
website detailing the many problems with DRM.

Web page and poster for the event:
http://pandp.eusa.ed.ac.uk/2006/?article=2007-02-19-DigitalMedia.txt

Free Software is a matter of freedom: people should be free to use, copy,
distribute, study, change and improve software in all the ways that are
socially useful: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/

Free Software, Free Society