moRe: [Scottish] time spent on Linux stuff...

babaguy babaguy at myway.com
Wed Feb 28 09:53:34 GMT 2007

 Dear All,  Well, I am now to the point where I realise that Linux is really only ever going to be a hobby, as it just seems to require so much time to simply make up its mind to *function*.......(or for me to read its mind and discover how to make it do stuff..!)I have Ubuntu (as I'm sure you know by now...5.10) -

What I've been trying to do, just as a simple exercise really, to see if I can do *anything* - (well, I *have* managed to get online with the linux box! Whew!) - is to download and install even one pkg. -

I've tried "apt-get"  I've tried "apt-get install" - I've tried the Synaptic Package manager - (I was looking for Ubuntu updates/upgrades and trying to apply them just to see if I *could* !)

 The problem I keep running into is that although software gets downloaded okay, I don't know where it *is* and neither does Ubuntu, and archive manager - the default installer (or so it tells me) can never open/install *any*thing....

I've looked thru the "apt-get -help" instructions and tried them , but they don't work either...

I'd LIKE  to install Opera on the computer (Mozilla in Ubuntu is pretty disappointing) but although the download of Opera for Linux goes all right, the same dead end occurs with the archive manager and I can't figure out which *other* pkg might open it . When I *do* look through other packages, they're usually empty when I finally work on down the directory or file tree...

It really *is* most annoying - and very time-consuming......

As ever, any help would be very much appreciated.

- Paul B.