[Scottish] Which distro

Joseph Kerr jsphkrr at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 13:22:03 GMT 2007

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I will attempt to install the software you
mentioned. I have no broadband connection. I usually go to me local
library and download the required packages. It is time consuming. I
would like to install nvu, inkscape and scribus for starters. Some of
those apps only seem to be available from source. I successully
installed the lamp software and now have a web server configued. I
installed drupal and plone and I would like to familiarize myself with
them by create web sites. The dependencies are the real problem. I
know of no way of quickly downloading all required dependencies for a
package. If you have broadband then you take the download of the
dependencies for granted. THanks.

joe

On 12/31/06, Kyle Gordon <kyle at lodge.glasgownet.com> wrote:
> Yes, it'll be the development headers for X. In Ubuntu, try installing the
> following.
>
> xlibs-dev
> libx11-dev
> kdebase-dev
>
> I'm sure it'll be xlibs-dev that provides what you need. The configure
> script won't tell you what packages you need, as it's just a generic
> source tarball. It isn't tailored to your particular distribution, and
> thus can only provide generic error messages.
>
> Is there any reason that you can't install the software from the package
> archives? What's the name of the software and why do you need to compile
> it from scratch? The average (new-to-Linux) Ubuntu user isn't going to be
> wanting to compile software, but instead should rely on the vast
> collection of software available in the package repositories.
>
> Regards
>
> Kyle
>
> On Fri, December 29, 2006 3:32 pm, Joseph Kerr wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Are these dev packages for the X includes or something else? I know
> > that I may not have all of the files for the kdeveloper app. I was
> > hoping to find out what they are when the ./configure completes.
> >
> > Joe

> >> Have you got the appropriate -dev packages installed?
> >>
> >> Gordon

> > --
> > Joe

Joe