[Scottish] Broadband Question...

William Hamilton horus at bawkz.com
Sat Jan 13 13:39:42 GMT 2007

Kyle Gordon wrote:
> What model of Voyager modem is it? It's best not to use USB, and use
> Ethernet instead. That way you can use a bog standard network card,
> about 99% of which are guaranteed to work in any form of operating
> system. If you use a network card, Linux will support it without the
> need for any crazy drivers from BT or its 3rd party, 4th partner, 2nd
> outsourced software/hardware makers in India that happened to get
> cheapest bid of the day in for BT kit...
>
> Kyle
>
> babaguy wrote:
>>  Hi SLUGgers! WOW !
>> Okay - so, I've managed (well, my SWEETHEART managed) to make a
>> functioning computer out of a bunch of old stuff, I got a monitor off
>> FREESHARE, I've installed UBUNTU 5.10 - the one they are currently
>> giving away in the smart, inviting packaging (picked it up from PC
>> Medic in Paisley - nice shop btw) -
>> - and it seems to WORK ! ! !
>> Perseverance pays off ! (some of you may recall my first attempts
>> w/Linux about 3 years ago - the Suse "Home edition" (NOTHING worked -
>> except Chess at ONE level only!) - and then an earlier edition of
>> Ubuntu...grrrrrrr.....
>>
>> - but no more, I sense!
>> Okay! Here's my question. We have BT Total Broadband -
>> (but I DON'T  have the new TOTAL Broadband router - I have a BT
>> VOYAGER ADSL modem - which I also got on FREESHARE. Works good!)
>>
>> There is a CD which has the modem driver for Windows XP - it's what
>> I'm using to access the internet on the other computer... (bless it).
>> What do I need to do to make my UBUNTU computer recognise the ADSL
>> modem and vice versa?
>> Does BT do a CD for installation with Linux?
>> Is there one of you SLUGgers who HAS the drivers that will work in
>> Linux and recognise the BT VOYAGER ADSL modem?   I currently don't
>> have a CD or DVD re-writer, only CD-ROM (on both the XP and the UBUNTU
>> machines) so I don't think I'll be able to download and burn a version
>> of the driver even if I were to find it on a Linux web driver
>> repository.....
>>
>> I hope one of you will be able to help and advise me on this, as I'd
>> REALLY like to be able to get online with the Ubuntu machine.....
>>
>> I REALLY like this new-ish Ubuntu, by the way - it's fun! (and it
>> seems to WORK ! )
>>
>> Yours in hope, and with THANKS in advance,
>>
>> - Paul Birchard

If it's a Voyager 105 (I think that's right) then it will work in Linux.

There is a package you download and then you configure it with your
ISP's details and it works quite happily although I did find mine liked
to drop the connection regularly but I think that was a problem with my
computer or my config rather than the software itself.