[Scottish] GPG problem

Adam Conway adam at conways.name
Mon Jul 23 19:32:38 BST 2007

Hi,

I have a file on my hard disk with passwords for various websites I
manage, email lists, email addresses, etc.  The file is encrypted with
GPG.  I use the built-in editor in KGPG to decrypt the file, view or
edit it and then encrypt it again.

Today I go to look up a password and it won't decrypt!  All it says is
"Decryption failed." and when I click for details it says
"[GNUPG:] NODATA 3"

If I try gpg --decrypt filename I get

gpg: CRC error; ab4925 - cbb02b
gpg: encrypted_mdc packet with unknown version 255

Now, I have two questions:

1) Is there anything I can do to restore the file?
2) How could it have got corrupted?  I hadn't edited the file since I
last used it and, to my untrained eye, it still looks like an encrypted
file.  (The only slightly odd thing is that one line halfway through the
file is only 1/3 the length of all the others.)

Any help gratefully received.  I can't remember all the passwords and
may be able to get them back but may not...

Adam

PS: In case it's relevant:
Slackware 10 based system with 2.6.14 kernel.
GnuPG v1.2.4 KGPG 1.1.2 KDE 3.5.1

--
"I thought cars were the dominant species on your planet and
I was just trying to introduce myself"

Use encrypted email! Get my GPG public key at www.conways.name