[Scottish] Re: time spent on Linux stuff...

babaguy babaguy at myway.com
Thu Mar 1 20:52:09 GMT 2007

 Dear J.R., Why would I like to use GNU/Linux?

1) I find it deeply galling that the main OS is completely compromised to the so-called intelligence community. I don't have the slightest thing to hide, but the idea that we are (well, MS users are) completely transparent I find degrading, insulting, and ultimately, I think, it may curtail individual initiative or room for maneuvre. It is  probably counter-productive to our survival culturally and even physically. Boal's phrase "The cop in the head." springs to mind. Personally I've come to terms with "being watched and listened to" a long time ago, and who knows, living openly may affect the watchers/listeners for the better - I certainly hope so, anyway!

 2) I am very attracted to the deeply cooperative, brotherly/sisterly ethos of the GNU/Linux "movement." I would like to be able to give back to others as you and others have given to me.....

What do I want to DO with GNU/Linux?

1) Write - and be able to easily copy what I write between applications when required.

2) Record and process/produce/edit audio & video content.

3) listen to the radio on the web, watch the occasional movie or clip, create web pages.

DO I need to inter-operate between the world of either MAC or MS and Linux ?

Well, yes, probably, for at least some time to come - the proprietary packages for cutting a movie, for example, say Final Cut Pro or Avid, certainly outclass CV Cinellera - but "class" is not an end in itself for me - as my old friend Lindsay Anderson wrote in the Free Cinema Manifesto "Perfection is not an aim." I would like to make a movie on entirely free/libre platforms & software - I find that very exciting.

Hope you and all are well and happy!

Yours,

Paul B.

--- On Thu 03/01, J.R. Seago < j.r.seago at dsl.pipex.com > wrote: