[Scottish] open source in business

Alastair Broom abroom at valleyt.co.uk
Fri Mar 2 16:54:32 GMT 2007

I spoke to a number of people at the EdLug meeting last night about Open
Source Software being used by Scottish companies, and thought I'd pass the
same info onwards to ScotLug.

I was talking about www.opensourcescotland.org, which has been set up by
myself and Kevin Campbell:

"OpenSourceScotland is an association website for any company operating in
 Scotland who uses, supports or promotes Open Source Software
 technologies."

We have the backing of Scotland IS (the trade body for the IT industry in
Scotland), and are aiming to have a Scotland-IS sponsored launch event
this summer before aKademy hits Glasgow and Debconf hits Edinburgh, with
lots of Press, and speakers from companies that use OSS.

The aim is to increase the profile of Open Source Software in the business
community, and show it is robust and flexible enough to run Scotland's
most successful businesses, while reducing costs.

So: if you work for a company that uses Open Source Software to runs its
infrastructure, or have products that run upon Open Source Platforms, or
are a provider of solutions or support upon Open Source Platforms,
please pass this email to your Sales/Marketing team, or CTO to see if
they would like to sign up at http://www.opensourcescotland.org

The site was knocked together quickly at the end of last year, and is
about to have a skin refresh, and the content expanded, so if you have a
business-oriented outlook and would like to contribute content, news
stories, or success stories, or if you have any questions, please feel
free to eMail
Alastair Broom  <al at opensourcescotland.org>
or
Kevin Campbell <kev at opensourcescotland.org>

Thanks.
--
Alastair Broom         Valley Technology Ltd, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
abroom at valleyt.co.uk
al at opensourcescotland.org