[Scottish] FAO

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Mon Mar 5 18:28:13 GMT 2007

On Mon,  5 Mar 2007 13:13:48 -0500 (EST)
"babaguy"<babaguy at myway.com> wrote:
>  William, When the downloads of updates were ready to install,
> Synaptic (in the "FM") told me to be sure to tick the box which tells
> the machine to overwrite or replace the older files with the new ones
> - I verified that the correct Synaptic boxes were checked and the
> machine then took about half an hour + updating everything.....so I
> assume it is updated -
>
> Is there more that I should have done? Oooops! I'll go RTFM and find
> out for myself...!

That will install the updates for whichever version of ubuntu you have
not upgrade to the latest version of ubuntu. Updates are released to
patch the most important bugs - mostly just security problems - but not
to add features.

If you want to upgrade to a later version of ubuntu you need to change
which repository you are using. Searching
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ for upgrade gets the detailed
instructions for the various releases.