*SPAM* [Scottish] Kubuntu Install help.....?

William Hamilton horus at bawkz.com
Tue Mar 6 10:22:10 GMT 2007

> I HAVE tried   sudo apt-get install Kubuntu
>

> and it starts to then give me:   E: couldn't find package kubuntu

Well yeah, it would do.

That's pretty much the same as typing 'apt-get install debian" or
"apt-get install suse" - you are confusing a distribution with a package.

Lets start from scratch here - in the beginning there was the word, and
the word was Debian, and it was good.

On the second day, Mark Shuttleworth forked it and created Ubuntu, a
Debian-based distribution with a large focus on laptops and consumer
hardware.

On the third day, it was repackaged as Kubuntu - an alternative version
of Ubuntu but with the KDE window manager rather than Gnome.

Now without knowing what you have done exactly, it's hard to offer
advice but it does sound like you are doing something wrong.

First off, is it a live CD or an actual install CD?
Not having used Kubuntu for a while I can't recall how they distribute
it but if it's a live CD then it should boot right to a desktop and
there should be an option somewhere to install to the hard drive. If
however it's a vanilla install CD then it should just drop to the
installer and prompt you for lots of things and the fact that it doesn't
appear to be doing this would suggest the former.

Have you tried typing 'startx' at the command line?

Billy