[Scottish] For comparing VM technologies: VMKNOPPIX released

Dan Shearer dan at shearer.org
Thu Mar 8 13:26:42 GMT 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 01:17:25PM +0000, Andrew Back wrote:

> >Comments:
> >
> > - all the others in the image are high-performance, or claim to be
> >   (Hercules isn't particularly efficient despite being very solid,
> >   and besides all the others are implemented in a like-on-like manner
> >   to maximise performance
>
> I doubt anyone would want to use hercules in production. Maybe they do...

They do.

> It is indeed. Although I seem to be currently obsessed with running ye
> olde VM and equally antique MVS under it at the moment (all on hercules).
> Which it has to be said there is little point to... Well, aside from
> marvelling at MVS revelations such as "bsppilot has terminated due to an
> abend".

Nice to find another Herc aficionado :-)

I've had students at times tell me they really find all this computing
stuff quite easy. So I give them the instructions to get OS/360 going
under Hercules as a 370. What they usually do is make assumptions about
how computers work based on their experience and get it badly wrong. The
instructions are accurate but obscure since computers Didn't Used To Be
Like That!

--
Dan Shearer
dan at shearer.org