[Scottish] For comparing VM technologies: VMKNOPPIX released

Andrew Back andy at smokebelch.org
Thu Mar 8 13:41:53 GMT 2007

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Dan Shearer wrote:

> Nice to find another Herc aficionado :-)
>
> I've had students at times tell me they really find all this computing
> stuff quite easy. So I give them the instructions to get OS/360 going
> under Hercules as a 370. What they usually do is make assumptions about
> how computers work based on their experience and get it badly wrong. The
> instructions are accurate but obscure since computers Didn't Used To Be
> Like That!

Yeah, it can be relatively straight forward if you can unlearn that which
you have learnt previous and consider 'the right way', and instead focus
on thinking about what problems the system tried to address. In this way
anyone is capable of learning things often regarded 'difficult', inc VMS
and even more esoteric O/S like DIPOS ( a midrange system that has a
predefined table for 63 processes, each entry called a 'partition' into
which you load 'segements' (applications) with random-ish names like
'XUUA'). It is for these reasons that I get annoyed when people talk about
Linux/UNIX/OpenVMS "doing things the wrong way". Wait, who said which way
was right? And just because Windows is everywhere does that mean it is
'good', so is the common cold...

Andrew