[Scottish] For comparing VM technologies: VMKNOPPIX released

Dan Shearer dan at shearer.org
Thu Mar 8 14:11:00 GMT 2007

On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 01:41:44PM +0000, Andrew Back wrote:

Never heard of DIPOS, does it run under simh by any chance?

> It is for these reasons that I get annoyed when people talk about
> Linux/UNIX/OpenVMS "doing things the wrong way". Wait, who said which way
> was right? And just because Windows is everywhere does that mean it is
> 'good', so is the common cold...

I attended a talk by Rob Pike once called "the Good, the Bad and the
Ugly: the Unix Legacy" or thereabouts which he used to chart the fall of
Unix from its principles and then compare against Plan9. He isn't the
only one that thinks Unix started to go all wrong when 'cat
somedirectoryname' returned binary rubbish instead of a list of files.
Thanks for breaking it all, sysV :-)

Actually thinking about it, that talk sticks with me less than the one
he did the next day on quantum computation. He did the "three bits of
polarised material demo" where you put two bits at right angles on the
projector and get total dark where they intersect, then you put a third
at 45 degrees to the other two and get light transmission again.  Not
that I have a hope of being able to explain the quantum mechanics
involved. Someone on this list probably can ==> now that's a Scotlug
talk I'd love to turn up to.

--
Dan Shearer
dan at shearer.org