[Scottish] Different meeting

Andrew Barber andrew.alex.barber at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 18:19:23 GMT 2007

I have been trying to think of ways that we could have a bit of a
different meeting than the normal presentation by a member. I do think
these are good, but trying to think of things that could also be fun.

I have thought of maybe a 'controlled' debate, a discussion/(half
arsed)argument on subjects that seem to create flamewars in the FOSS
world. e.g.
KDE vs Gnome vs *
Source based vs packaged distro

The other idea [which has been done] but is to try and get more people
from external places for a talk. I had a look around to day for places
in Glasgow that use opensource software or contribute to.
It would be interesting to see how it is used in practice, how companies
contribute, value of and such like..
I thought originally IBM due to always seeing them sponsor FOSS events,
but that seems to have been shot down. Also the plant close in Scotland
is maybe not used for such studies.

I spoke to a friend who works for Motorola and he is going to find out
if anybody would be up for a talk from Freescale/Metrowerks....

Is there any other companies or places you guys can think of?

Do you think these would provide a decent ScotLUG meeting?

AndrewB