[Scottish] Not strictly linux, but advice welcomed all the same

John Gordon Ollason john at houseofdeer.co.uk
Sat Apr 26 14:56:57 BST 2008

I participate in a discussion board hosted in America. Yesterday, the sig
line of one of the other participants fed me back my Internet address, the
operating system, linux, the browser, Opera, I was using, and the company
name of my ISP. The sig is provided free to anybody who would like to use
it, by danasoft.com. They claim that they create the sig on the fly and
feed it back only to the person that has downloaded the page, each person
using the page sees only his own identity. The site peddles a piece of
software which, they claim, will prevent the information from being
transmitted, and it seems to me that the purpose of distributing this
_cool_ sig to witless users is to promote the software they are selling to
prevent the transmission of the data returned by their sig. They waffle on
about privacy, but I am annoyed that another user of the discussion board
is responsible for transmitting information about me to a third party
without my permission. There is no guarantee that the information about me
obtained by danasoft will not be passed on elsewhere.

Am I making a fuss about nothing? Is there any linux software that I can
install that will prevent this behaviour?

Thanks for in advance for your thoughts.

John O.