[Scottish] Linux Laptop

William Anderson neuro at well.com
Mon Jun 16 01:00:14 BST 2008

John¹ wrote:
> My Daughter has moved into a cottage of her own, tomorrow the phone will be
> connected, and as last Thursday was her birthday I have offered to buy her
> a laptop and router, (this latter dependent on broadband being available
> in her village outside Inverness.

I'd get the following, based on actual usage of the kit:

Dell Inspiron 1525 (let your daughter pick the colour and design of the
lid, there are a few to pick!)
Zyxel 660HW-T1 ADSL2+ Router

I'd recommend installing Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron on the Dell as this
will provide an excellent hardware compatibility base, and also the best
user experience, especially with regard to keeping the distro up to date
- I assume it would be your daughter tasked with this, not you!

I recommend a Zyxel wifi router as a) Zyxel make some of the best
routers to deal with long or noisy lines, which I suspect you may have
problems with outside Inverness; with that brand and model of router,
you'll have a better chance of connecting over a noisy line than with
most others ... and b) because there's no point in getting something
without wifi now and then perhaps down the line deciding to get wifi and
having to graft on an access point as well as the router.  The router
comes with a 4-port Ethernet switch and WPA2 wifi encryption.  The
laptop above has wifi built in.

However, before buying a router, pick your ISP first; they may provide a
usable router with the package.  Again, don't discount wifi for the sake
of it.  All ADSL routers with wifi will permit you to disable the wifi
completely if you don't want to use it now, and you're not closing the
door on future wifi use.

The total shouldn't be more than £450 depending on where you buy from.
I'd recommend getting the laptop from Dell directly unless you want to
pick it up immediately from Currys, PC World or Tesco.  For that router,
www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk have plenty in stock[1], and deliver quickly
and cheaply.

Hope all that helps.

-n