[Scottish] PPPoE vs PPPoA

Andrew Back andy at smokebelch.org
Tue Jun 17 21:44:56 BST 2008

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008, William Anderson wrote:

> Matt Causey wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> This is when I learned that Tiscali does -not- support PPPoE, but rather
>> PPPoA.  O'course, my Cisco PIX only supports the more flexible PPPoE
>> method.  Grr.
>>
>> Is this the case with all ISPs here in the UK?  Anyone have an old Cisco
>> ATM device sitting around? :)
>
> Welcome to the UK, and Scotland in particular :)
>
> Sorry, pretty much all UK ADSL uses PPPoA, and the ATM part is for the actual
> backhaul out of the exchanges.  You won't need any ATM CPE gear to connect.

That's what I thought, I.e. that you might only get PPPoE when an ISP has
say taken advantage of LLU. But I have now been told by two different
people that PPPoE can work, and a quick Google seems to reinforce this:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/1381-pppoe-authentication-in-final-pilot-to-providers.html

http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/showmsg.php?id=185/81

You would of course need an ADSL presentation (E.g. G.DMT) and I'm
guessing PPPoE might not work on all exchanges.

Andrew