[Scottish] Openmoko FreeRunner

Kyle Gordon kyle at lodge.glasgownet.com
Mon May 26 12:36:00 BST 2008

babaguy wrote:
> Hi All -
>

> Because I'm not a full-on Linux-wallah (to say the least) I just would like to know, is the Free Runner a phone/mobile internet device ? (I know that may be a REALLY dumb question, but still...)
>

> - and ALSO if it IS a phone, does its FLOSSy interior mean it won't necessarily be sending moment-to-moment updates back to the NSA in the Old Country and Menwith Hill closer to (adopted) home...?
>

> Answers will be much appreciated...!
>

> - babaguy

It is a mobile phone/internet device. All the specifications are open,
from the design of the casing to the software running the GPS chip. It's
aimed mainly at those of us that like that sort of thing, and would be
willing to tinker. Although they are hoping it will be mass-market ready
too.

As for the govt spying on you... well that's up to you and and your
network provider. Best ask them. The phone is just a passive component
in that game.

Kyle