[Scottish] Hardware question?

rayH at engineering-intelligence.net rayH at engineering-intelligence.net
Fri Aug 7 18:55:12 UTC 2009

On Friday 07 August 2009 16:37:12 Julian Gibson wrote:
> The 670 has 2 SATA connectors on the mobo as well as well as the
> onboard SCSI.

According to:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ws670/en/ug_en/

Your box has 3x3.5in bays and 3x5.25in bays.  So if you don't need 3
optical drives you could use a pair or 3.5-5.25in brackets to fit 2 SATA
drives while retaining both SCSIs.   If you are willing to forego ECC
memory you can also get fit 8GiB RAM for a reasonable price (c.£50).

I am pretty sure that any BIOS that supports SATA will let you choose an
arbitrary hdd boot order.  The above manual says that the on-board RAID
is OS independent, but it looks like the management software is
MS-Windows only so you might have use that to disable any existing
configuration.  You might also investigate upgrading the BIOSes.

I use mostly openSuSE.  My experimental machine has a pair of primary SATA
drives configured with a boot partition  (mirrored -- /dev/mt0) and the
other partitions (swap, /, and /home) striped (/dev/mt1-3).  Backup
partition is on a third drive.

The drawback with / on  /dev/mt1 is that I cannot update from a DVD.  The
openSuSE install/update process can create a RAID partition but cannot
recognise an installed root partition on one.  This has not been of any
great consequence as with a working system I just loop mount the iso
image and "zypper dup".

Once you have any /dev/mtNs installed fdisk will warn that they do not
have a valid partition table.  Opening them with fdisk and then
hitting "w" will fix that.  I don't know if there is a problem using a
rescue boot to fix  a screwed configuration without "fixing" the
partition table, because I have been habitually "fixing" it for years,
and have never remembered to test it first.

--
  ray