[Scottish] Dundee's Software Freedom Day Event - 19th September 2009 - 10 till 5

Arron M Finnon afinnon at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 29 12:49:37 UTC 2009

Hi Guys,

Here is some blurb for the forthcoming Software Freedom Day event we're
holding in Dundee this year.  I would be grateful if you could pass it
around to people you may think would be interested in attending the
event.  The blurb has a pdf version that can be downloaded from -
http://thelinuxsociety.org.uk/files/Dundee%27s-SFD-Event-Blurb.pdf

We also have an information line that people can find out news and info,
feel free to pass that number to interested people as well

Text below;

Software Freedom Day – Dundee – September 19th 2009
http://www.softwarefreedomdaydundee.org.uk

Information Line - 01382 848950 – List of talks, directions and other
useful details about the event.

“The University of Abertay Dundee Linux Society” and the “Tayside Linux
User Group” have long been establishing their names within the local
Free and Open Source Community, as centres of support and advocacy for
people from all walks of life.  This September we will be showcasing
some of the best that our local community has to offer.

On the third Saturday (19th) of September teams from all around the
world will celebrate Software Freedom Day:

“Software Freedom Day (SFD) is a worldwide celebration of Free and Open
Source Software (FOSS). Our goal in this celebration is to educate the
worldwide public about of the benefits of using high quality software in
education, in government, at home and in business - in short,
everywhere! The non-profit company Software Freedom International
coordinates SFD at a global level, providing support, give-aways and a
point of collaboration, but volunteer teams around the world organize
the local SFD events to impact their own communities.”
http://softwarefreedomday.org/SoftwareFreedom

This is a real opportunity for people in Dundee and surrounding areas
wishing to find out more about FOSS, its culture, its ethics and more
importantly how to get started with it.
Talks and Practical demonstrations throughout the day , for the novice
computer user to the technical evangelist - you are sure to find
something to interest you. The event is completely free and open to
everyone;

10am - Short Welcome and Introduction to the Dundee Software Freedom Day
Event
10.15am - What is free software, and why is software freedom so important?
10.45am - Freedom and Control
11.15am - Free and Open Source Software for Windows
11.45am - Free and Open Source Software for Students
12.15am - Free and Open Source Software in Business

Break for Lunch - (1.00 - 1.30)

1.35pm - Podcasting, from Mic to Audience
2.00pm - Free and Open Source Concepts in Security
2.30pm - SSH (Secure Socket Handler) The Beginners Guide
3.00pm - Basic introduction to building games with blender
3.30pm - Games and the Open Source community
4.00pm - VoIP and Open Source - A look at H.323 (4.00pm)
4.30pm - Thanks and Goodbye, a short wrap-up of the event

http://www.softwarefreedomdaydundee.org.uk/talks

Text End;

Cheers

Arron Finnon